Saturday, August 2, 2008

Sigur Ros 01/08/2008

Photobucket
So last night I attended Sigur Ros at Festival Hall.
Absolutely amazing show.
It was a Friday night after a whole weeks work. And I was concerned because I wasn't really digging their latest album so much. And I think I built up the show so much in my head that I was almost expecting to be disappointed? But well, I was blown away!

The support act Pivot put on a good show. They were interesting. They reminded me of a jam session. Haha.
Sometimes I enjoy just watching people doing what they do best.
These guys were definitely good at what they do. I liked them.

Then Sigur Ros!! They walked onto the stage like absolute Gods.
Jonsi with feathers in his hair and glitter on his face.
Massive crazy orb lights behind them.
Nowhere else could you see a band playing bass with a drumstick and guitar with a cello bow.
And they had an amazing brass section to accompany them.
Definitely made up for the lack of Amiina, who usually accompany Sigur Ros with strings.

They opened with 'Svefn-g-Englar' off their first album. An amazing way to start the show.
They played a lot off their album 'Takk...' which is my favourite of theirs. And I have decided I like the songs off the new album a lot more live! The songs are more upbeat than most of their previous efforts, and the atmosphere of the crowd was really, um... happy, for lack of a better word.

During the song 'Hafsol' Jonsi got pretty intense with the strumming of his guitar. He uses a cello bow, and by the end of the song the hairs on the bow were all broken, and the actual bow was broken in half too. It was nuts.

I would have to say 'Gobbledigook' was a highlight! I wasn't a huge fan of the recorded version of the song, but it was absolutely amazing live!!
They all looked like they were having such a good time on stage. And their happiness was infectious. And when confetti started falling from the ceiling, it was an awe-inspiring moment.

And 'Saeglopur'!!! One of my favourite songs of all time. To hear it live took my breath away! I remember the start of the song. I wanted to jump up and down and scream in excitement. But I didn't want to miss a single second of the song. And I found it got really frustrating that I couldn't sing along, and felt like my heart was going to burst with emotion. It was well and truly unforgettable!

All in all... fucking amazing show!


-jac

No comments: